Thursday 15 October 2009

Sorry Molly, it's over.

Competition for time and teaching space put the squeeze on my lesson this Tuesday.

The result was, I had to shelve what I'd planned until next week and make it a simple studio session. Reviewing what each student had done one-to-one and then giving them feedback for development.

It used to be what I did for the majority of sessions, but it's clear now how limiting just 'talking to Molly' really is.

Like spinning plates, I can see the rest of the group losing interest and laying back whenever I spend more than 5 minutes with one individual.

And when we've finished talking and I move on to the next student, I can see that individual mentally 'clocking off' because they know I won't be bothering them again.

Essentially, it's a system whereby students are obliged to concentrate and think about their work for five or ten minutes... and provides ample opportunity for distraction for the other 2 hours 50!

I could play the 'in my day' card and suggest it shows a lack of focus and self direction in today's youth, but I know that's not right. There are just so many better ways to guide, stimulate and motivate people more effectively.

And they know that...

No comments:

Post a Comment